CATHERINE VAN VEEN: Content Editing | Content Strategy | Social Media
I’m a content editor/strategist with more than 15 years of digital content experience. Adept at working with both words and pictures, I’m a balanced thinker who can pivot between high-level brainstorming and detail-oriented analysis. This versatility allows me to tackle a broad range of projects: social media management, visual curation, website copy editing, tagline composition, mobile photography, etc. The common thread: I love working creatively with content and helping people and businesses to tell their stories.
Freelance | Seattle, WA | 2015-present
- Providing social media management, content strategy, and content curation and creation services in order to enhance clients’ digital presence and brand.
Creative Circle | Seattle, WA | 2015-present
Social Media Manager
- Managing the social media presence of a Creative Circle B2B client
- Responsible for social media strategy as well as writing and curating all content for LinkedIn, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Suggesting topics and creating all posts for client’s blog
Eastlake Community Council | Seattle, WA | 2014-present
Instagram Account Administrator
- Volunteered to fill a neighborhood need by proposing and creating the @eastlakeseattle feed. Responsible for creating all original photos, curating shared content from followers, and monitoring account activity to increase reach and engagement.
Heckler Associates | Seattle, WA | 2014
- Selected images for client packaging, website, and promotional projects, following specific brand guidelines for each.
- Scrutinized hundreds of pages of copy, providing proofreading corrections as well as copy edits, while adhering to brand voice and style guidelines.
- Strategized, curated, and created content for social media accounts.
Corbis Seattle, WA | Seattle, WA | 2010-2013
Community Content Editor
- Edited hundreds of contributor images daily based on aesthetic and technical quality, content, keywords, and legal considerations, using in-house guidelines; provided feedback to fellow editors regarding images under consideration.
- Created and edited content for contributor-targeted social media posts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and for contributor e-newsletters, adhering to Veer’s brand voice and style guide and to editorial calendars.
- Curated images for Veer’s premium Royale collection and for customer-facing image albums on Veer site in order to highlight the best of Veer’s visual content.
LookStat | Seattle, WA | 2009-2010
- Created and edited metadata for clients’ images, for the purpose of inclusion on commercial microstock agency websites.
- Collaborated to improve content and efficiency of in-house controlled vocabulary tool.
- Learned the navigation of numerous microstock sites in order to complete image submissions.
Historic Seattle | Seattle, WA | 2009-2010
- Assisted in organizing and cataloging hundreds of images for historic photo archive; selected images for other photo-related projects.
- Collaborated on the preparation of a grant application for the photo archive project.
- Recipient of 2009 Special Projects award for work completed for the photo archive project.
OnRequest Images | Seattle, WA | 2004-2008
Senior Photo Editor
(Brought on as freelance stock photo editor, subsequently hired as photo editor and promoted to senior editor)
- Edited custom-produced photo libraries, created for numerous Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies, for content, composition, visual brand style, and technical quality, frequently under extremely tight deadlines.
- Curated and sequenced images for client-targeted portfolios.
- Assisted in the creation of sales and marketing products aimed at analyzing client and competitor imagery; used those products to perform qualitative assessments, based on clients’ brands and corporate guidelines.
- Selected images and edited copy for clients’ photography brand guides.
- Performed trend research and created shot lists for internally produced stock photo shoots.
- Co-produced and art-directed a stock photo shoot.
Veer | Seattle, WA | 2004
Metadata Production – Stock Photography
- Assigned metadata to images and contributed to development of keyword management tool.
Corbis | Seattle, WA | 2003
Metadata Production – Stock Photography
- Assigned metadata to images, which included contributing to a third-party image collection that was generating sales of over $100,000 per month.
Seattle Municipal Archives | Seattle, WA | 2002-2003
- Scanned and cataloged historic original photographic transparencies for inclusion in Archives database and website.
ImageState | Seattle, WA | 2000-2001
Keyword Hierarchy Development/Production
- Assisted with selection of images for ImageState and West Stock website designs.
- Scanned and retouched images in Photoshop.
- Initiated creation of keyword hierarchy for newly-launched ImageState website.
- Assigned metadata to images for ImageState and West Stock websites, using unique software and guidelines for each.
- Managed and updated weekly promotional contest page on West Stock website.
West Stock (acquired by ImageState in 2000) | Seattle, WA | 1993-2000
- Conducted photo research in accordance with client specifications and negotiated licensing fees.
- Edited incoming photographic submissions for composition, content, and quality and provided feedback to photographers.
- Contributed to development of the company’s first website (first in the industry to allow clients to license and automatically download images), including image selection, metadata production, and management of customer contest page.
- Collaborated with editorial team to develop layout of promotional photography catalog.
Software/tools: WordPress, Google Docs, Basecamp, HootSuite, social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest), Microsoft Office Suite, Canva, Font Candy, Dreamweaver, Mac and Windows operating systems, basic Photoshop/retouching skills, basic HTML
Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art, Minor in Psychology | Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA